Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More erudite contribution

This from the friend I emailed for commentary last night as we spoke:

Nietzsche is one of the most intriguing and provocative thinkers ever, and he ismuch too complex to answer that question briefly and summarily. I will need toaddres this at greater length to do it justice, i think. However, in anutshell, there is ambiguity in Nietzsche, I think, because he was trying toassassinate Religion (God) and couldn't quite bring himself to do that. Hedeclared Theism (the worship of a divinity figure) "dead," but then turnedaround and entertained an escape hatch from the utterly desolate Universe bysuggesting that the Universe endlessly recycles, and by giving Man the hope offashioning an ethical Universe in "his" image (instead of "His" image).Furthermore, he deified "egoism" of Homo negotiander's evolved capabilities indismissing egalitarianist moralities in favor of pure nonsentimentalizedstriving and assertion of actualized potential. You could consider that a"Darwinian" spin. Acrually, coincidentally, I am going to give a paper on this topic on August 6in Toronto at the American Psychological Association Convention. I will use the1932 Freud-Einstein exchange of letters to discuss Darwin and Nietzsche. Hereis the blurb I put together last November (see Attachment) to capsulize thetopic. If you are interested, I have a superb paper (about 30 pages) by a brilliantcontemporary Nietzschean artist who is among my fondest commentators.

No comments: